Friday, June 13, 2014

FIFA World Cup Expects Record Draw


The FIFA World Cup is only a week away [it started yesterday], and is sure to be filled with action packed soccer moments, but will it draw in the record crowds other sports events tend to see? Goviva president Robert Tuchman joins the News Hub.
The World Cup is held every four years.  In 2006 it was in Germany, and I was in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, leading a consulting team of multinational staff: English, Swedish, German, Chinese and me Asian-American.  In South Africa for 2010, the World Cup saw me in Dubai, as a resident, having the pleasure of inviting friends over at the posh Capital Club to enjoy two of the games, including the Final one.  Now, it is in Brazil, and I plan to tune in again.

I am not a soccer fan, football as it's called outside the US, but my mates in Dhahran helped me understand the strategy behind the sport.  That was the key for me.  If I could discern what the players were doing on the pitch, not so much with their actual play, but more the intent, the plan, and the purpose, then the sport was quite enjoyable for me.

Robert Tuchman is sure that I will only be one among millions who will tune in and enjoy it.  He expects a record turnout.  Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment