Friday, September 27, 2013

Art of Neutralizing Difficult People



Because they needle needlessly and criticize repeatedly, difficult people can distract you from what you are saying in a meeting, for example, or worse yet make you doubt your own competence or worth.  Nina Godiwalla, CEO of Mindworks, offers very practical advice that refocuses the needling back to the topic at hand and stops you from internalizing undue, maybe abusive criticism.  It's the art of neutralizing an opponent by not (a) engaging in a battle and (b) demeaning him or her in turn.

"I'm disappointed I couldn't get my point across, because I really believe in this product." 

"When you respond with an observation, you actually disarm the other person."

"Is there anything I can do you to help you take care of your other commitments?"

No comments:

Post a Comment